Welcome Self Publishers and Independent Presses!

*** I am especially interested in reviewing self published authors' books! ***

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Review: "My Blood Approves" by Amanda Hocking

Book: My Blood Approves
Author: Amanda Hocking
Rating: 3 out of 5 Mulberries



   "My Blood Approves," is a young adult paranormal book by Amanda Hocking. Alice, an ordinary teenager with a love for indie music, meets Jack, a converse-wearing vampire whom she's initially only mildly interesting in. This is meant to be Jack's hook - Alice doesn't respond to him the way other human girls do. What ensues is a relationship that forms slowly, naturally -- that is, until Alice meets Jack's vampire "brother," Peter. The whole of the first book is Alice's struggle with whether she's meant to be with Jack or with Peter.

    Alice was an okay protagonist, she worked, but was definitely not the hook for me. I kept forgetting her name. Jack, the "good," lovable vampire, was sweet. I appreciated that we got to see different sides of him, like when he was immature and goofy and just wanted to play video games or go see Rocky Horror with Alice, but then he got angry at Peter's attraction to Alice. It was only after seeing Jack's full range of emotions that I decided Jack was a worthy love interest for Alice.

   Still, I fall into the brooding "bad boy" appreciation camp, and Peter was so incredibly moody and dangerous that I just wanted to read more about him and Alice's magnetic, physical attraction. I was a little disappointed that his role in this book was relegated to the sidelines. Admittedly, that's the main reason for wanting to read the next book, so if it was a device used on purpose, it worked.

    I give "My Blood Approves" three stars out of five because I see a lot of potential for the series. There were some grammatical mistakes sprinkled throughout, but that didn't detract from the plot. The book was slow in a lot of spots, usually the scenes when Alice and Jack hang out just for the sake of hanging out and nothing happens that contributes to the main plot. I was rolling my eyes for the first half of the book, but by the end, I wanted more. More Peter, please! Bravo, Amanda.



No comments:

Post a Comment